Penne with almond, goat cheese, and parsley pesto
by Sophie Dahl
Serves 6 to 8
For the pesto
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled
* Salt and pepper
* 2 large handfuls of fresh parsley
* ½ cup /50g blanched almonds
* 1 cup/200g soft goat cheese
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* A squeeze of lemon juice or some lemon zest
1½ pounds/750g fresh or dried penne
1. In a large mortar and pestle, grind the garlic down with a pinch of salt. Add the parsley and again, grind down until you have a coarse green mixture. Add the almonds and keep grinding, and when you have a coarse paste-like consistency, transfer to a larger bowl. Add the goat cheese and olive oil, combining well. Season, giving the mixture a squeeze of lemon juice or a grating of lemon zest if you feel like it.
2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Reserve a tiny bit of the cooking water when you drain, and return the pasta to the pot. Add the pesto and stir to combine, drizzling on some of the cooking water if needed to make sure the pasta is evenly coated.