Rhubarb Rice PuddingSophie Dahl
This beautiful rhubarb rice pudding is deliciously creamy and packed full of fruit. And if you have access to a bumper crop, follow Mrs Beeton’s example and make some jam.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
* 1 litre milk
* 150g basmati rice
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 80g agave syrup or honey
* 1 tsp of orange flower water
For the rhubarb:
* 350g rhubarb, cut into 2.5cm/1 inch lengths
* 125ml/1/2 cup of water
* 1 star anise
* 1 tsp of rosewater
* 2 tbsp of agave syrup or honey
1. First make the rice pudding. Pour the milk and rice into a medium sized saucepan, add the cinnamon stick, bring to the boil, and then simmer on a very low heat, stirring frequently, for around 30 minutes. At this point, stir in the agave or honey and the orange flower water and cook for another five to ten minutes, adding more milk if it starts looking dry.
2. In a separate heavy-bottomed pan, place the rhubarb, water, star anise, rosewater and agave or honey. Bring to the boil and simmer on low for about 10 minutes, turning once or twice, until you have a lovely tender pink softness. Plate the rice pudding and swirl the rhubarb through.
Photography by Jan Baldwin